4 WEEKS BEFORE
· Make a reservation for the moving truck / van or Book Movers
· Notify Canada Post of your new address.
· Send change-of-address cards to
ü Banks (and order new cheques from your bank)
ü Insurance Firms (be sure that you understand your insurance coverage and have placed adequate valuation on your household goods.)
ü Doctor, Dentist
ü Canada Customs & Revenue Agency, Hydro, Cable Company, Phone Company
ü Credit Card Companies
3 WEEKS BEFORE
· Think about the things you want to be packed together. Organize your possessions so that the cartons can be labeled with the contents and according to the room in which they will be placed in your new home.
· Decide what to move and what to give away. (Some goods could be donated to charitable organizations, arrange for pick-up)
· Put 2 different colors of stickers to show which items will be moved and which will not.
· With the items to move, label the room it is to go to. Have a garage sale!
· DO NOT PACK watches, jewellery, money or important documents. Take these articles with you.
· Arrange to have the telephone disconnected (but ensure that it's not until after loading day) and hook-up telephone in your new home.
· Arrange to have utilities and appliances disconnected for the day that you are leaving.
2 WEEKS BEFORE
· Recruit moving-day help
· Arrange cleaning people
· Return library books and anything borrowed from friends and neighbors.
· Take care of bills, stocks and investments.
· Plan and measure where your furniture will be placed in your new home.
1 WEEK BEFORE
· Change address on your Driver’s License and your Health Card
· Arrange for delivery services to be discontinued - newspapers, magazines etc.
JUST 2-3 DAYS BEFORE
· Pack your luggage.
ON MOVING DAY
· When all goods have been loaded, make a thorough check of all rooms, attics, basements, closets, cupboards and behind doors. It is your responsibility to make sure that nothing has been overlooked to make sure nothing has been loaded into the van in error.
· Disconnect all appliances
· Turn off gas and water
· Drain all hoses
· Empty refrigerator and disconnect ice maker
· Make sure the freezer has time to defrost
· Disconnect cords
· Disconnect and bundle cords on television and stereo
· Close all windows and doors in the house or apartment that you are leaving
· Make sure that you have made arrangements where to leave your old keys